Monday, March 3, 2014

St Patricks Day Play Dough!

So I tend to be a planner- well that is an understatement. I have been trying to prepare for a wonderful St. Patrick's Day. We have our Leprechaun House all decorated and our Leprechaun Trap ready to go. The shoes are going to be placed by the door and I can't wait to see what kind of shenanigans those Leprechauns bring! Green milk and green pancakes/ yogurt are on the menu for breakfast and possibly a rainbow cake for dessert after dinner that night. The creative possibilities are endless! I might even have the little neighbor next door come over for a treat later on after school.

I have been cooking up wonderful home-made play doughs and have decided that I prefer the cooked dough to the kind of recipe where you add boiling water and stir. I feel that the glutens in the flour work better when cooked and the result is a better put together kind of play dough that is not too dry or crumbly or sticky. Some recipes call for the food coloring and glitter (if adding) to be added after the cooking process and be kneaded into the dough. That is fine and dandy, but I tried a different way.

I added the food coloring and the glitter while mixing the ingredients in the pot BEFORE cooking them. It came out beautifully! I could adjust the depth of the color and the level of sparkle. As it cooked the color deepened and the bling, well it was awesome. My pictures do not do it justice.  I used the following recipe from The Tinker Lab and it is really great!

The Best Play Dough Recipe

Supplies
  • 2.5 cups water
  • 1 1/4 c. salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. cream of tartar
  • 5 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2.5 cups flour
  • Food coloring or liquid watercolors. 
She suggests Wilton food colors but I used other kinds and it was still gorgeous.
 
Mix everything but the food coloring together in a large pot until somewhat smooth. It will be lumpy. Not to worry, the dough will get smoother as it cooks. *** Cook the dough over a low heat. Mix frequently. The water will slowly cook out of the mixture and you’ll notice it starts to take on a sticky dough appearance. Keep mixing until the edges of the dough along the side and bottom of the pan appear dry. Pinch a piece of dough. If it’s not gooey, the dough is ready. Store the dough in a large Ziplock bag or sealed container. Unused, it’ll keep for months.

*** I want to add that this is where I put in the food coloring and the glitter. It saves time and keeps things less messy all around. The end result is the same and I used green food coloring and gold glitter. Gorgeous!!!

Here is my dough!!!



It is really hard to see the gold glitter but it shimmered constantly from every angle. The finer the glitter the more "Tinker Bell-ish" it looks and I LOVE it!
 
Our little Leprechaun is going to bring it to Kayleigh for St. Patrick's Day. I figured I would help him as I worry about his safety with the stove. Those little guys also make a mess! Always good to stay on his good side- don't want to get pinched.
 
Don't forget to join the google member board! It's getting lonely here with just little ol' me! Please feel free to leave a comment too! I'd love to have requests for party ideas or crafts!
 
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
 
Ariane :)

No comments:

Post a Comment