Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Testing Out My Calm Down Jars, Sensory Doughs, and Cloud Doughs!

So let me just say that I LOVE my new toys! I was going to bring in the new additions today but we have a snow day so..... Kayleigh and her friend are testing them out instead. Of course I made extra for Kayleigh to have at home, but it never hurts to get it "Kid Pre-Approved". Kayleigh used her pink calm down bottle last night as a timer. When the glitter settled, it was time to turn out the lights and go to sleep. Worked like a charm!

I made up 4 different calm down jars using "Fiji" brand water bottles. It got me to drink a lot more water. Then I made cloud dough with flour and some with cornstarch- I have to say that the flour mixture was much more pleasing to my tactile senses and ears. I also made up some cloud play doh with sliver and iredescent glitter. So pretty! I will make more and add Peppermint to it.  I tried to make glitter slime, and I think that you definitely need Elmer's brand glue and the Stay Flo Liquid Starch brands to make it work. Otherwise it is really watery.

Some additional helpful tips:
  1. Make sure that you put the glitter glue in the empty bottle first and then add the water. Failure to do so will result in clumpy glue and lots of bubbles when you shake it to mix it up.
  2. I used my Keurig to get instant hot water- no microwave or stove top for me! It worked fabulously.
  3. Baby oil can be substituted for the vegetable oil- it will keep the dough (both play doh and cloud/moon dough) from spoiling and going rancid. I used lavender scented for the lavender dough and actually, all of the dough- it came out smelling great! 
Here are my photos!


 

 
 

 

 

 

 
I love the way the snow dough came out. It was so sparkly and Kayleigh used it to make "Sugar Cookies".  So cute and a great Snow Day activity!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment